Saturday 1 December 2012

Blood tests, needle phobias and technical names....

Hi there!
So after my recent visit to my surgeon's office to have moulds and pictures taken, I was informed of the need for another appointment to have a splint fitted and blood tests taken. Doesn't sound too bad, right? Wrong. I have notoriously difficult veins, and as a result of many years as a pincushion, I also have a severe needle phobia. Blood tests, IV's, you name it, it's difficult to do in my veins. So of course, it looks like I am going to have two blood tests for two separate things, meaning that my afternoon will most likely be less than enjoyable.

On a brighter note, my paperwork has been delivered to me for a bit of light reading, and I have discovered the name of my procedure. Lefort I maxillary advancement and chin debulk.  Kind of sounds like I'm making up words. It says that my procedure will take approximately one and a half hours, and I will be in hospital for 2 to 5 days. As the surgery will take place in a town other than my own, I am assuming they will let me stay until I feel up to sitting in a car for the drive home. Along with my paperwork came a list of jaw friendly recipes and dietary recommendations. Two to three liters of fluid per day, (assuming I can get that much in through the syringe) and at least 6 cups of dairy in my puréed food. It also advised me that in the event that I require a splint, it may be left in for 6-8 weeks. That could be fun..... This next appointment has been called a "splint fitting" appointment, so I am assuming that I will get to experience this happy sensation. :) I am seriously considering buying a "magic bullet" to purée my meals. :)
Anyway, that's all for now! One week and six days to go!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment